Old 06-20-2014, 02:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Butterfly
Baby Steps

I am so sorry for what you are going through and so much of what you say you did I did too to try and keep my AH. In answer to your question is alcohol/drugs more important yes to some people it is they can't see a life without it and certainly for my AH he was more scared of giving up alcohol than his wife and kids.

Addicts will say and do anything to keep their hooks into you while you are meeting their needs. My AH made so many promises to seek help for his drinking but when the time came he back tracked saying he could do it himself and I let him because he promised me and begged me not to leave him and I thought I was more more important. However when I had finally had enough after 18 years I stood firm and said he had to see the dr and a counsellor he left a week later saying he wanted to be on his own to do what he wanted when he wanted and to drink when he wanted.

You said that you asked him to help you when you had injured yourself but he wouldn't. It seems that you didn't get a lot out of your relationship but that you gave and he took quite happily. Alcoholics are very selfish and usually only care for their own needs. I can't say whether he loved you or not but one thing I am learning thanks to this forum is that anyone can say I love you but only a few will actually show it. Look at his actions don't listen to his words, words are easy actions will show you someone's determination to change.

You are doing well in your recovery. You are already starting to see the benefits of your relationship ending and it will get easier I promise you but you need to focus on you not him and do not have any contact. Tears are normal and how your feeling is all part of your recovery take one day at a time. He has made his decision and nothing you can do or say will change that. What are you doing to help yourself through this??

I can't give you the answers that you need as to why this has happened the disease isn't logical and trying to make sense of something that isn't logical will drive you crazy. Live in the facts and the truth. This guy cheated on you took from you what he could than when you were no longer any use to him he left. Sorry I don't mean to sound harsh and I'm sorry if that has upset you but you need to keep looking at the facts and consider whether this relationship was any good for you!!

I am reading how to stop being addicted to a person. It's excellent as it has given me insight into why I choose the men I have chosen and particularly why I stayed with my AH for so long despite the facts that he would never change. I have also read co dependent no more. Read the stickies at the top of this forum and keep posting there is a wealth of knowledge and support on this forum

Remember focus on you not him only an addict can make the decision to change. I wish you peace