View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

When I was six weeks sober, at the end of my sick leave, I returned to work to find I had been sacked and all my gear stolen. I didn't pray about it, instead I decided the job of cab driver would be best for me. Not because I had any great ideas about providing a good service, but because I like driving cars and reading books, and I noticed cabbies got plenty of time for reading while wait g for a fare.

However God had other plans. I failed the police check so could not get a cab license. Instead I found my self working on a temporary scheme at the university. While there the very kind head of department managed to reactivate my trade training and I was able to finish an engineering qualification.

Then, one day, I saw a job as a sales trainee for a large capital equipment firm. Way out of my league I thought, but after praying about it I called the firm to find out what the pay was like and, unbeknownst to me got the CEO. He talked me into coming in for an interview. I got the job out of forty applicants, and it was the trade qualification that did the trick.

Then came the first free territory and I was busting to get out and sell some gear. I applied for that area and missed out. God had other ideas. A few months later they put me in the best territory in the country, plenty of business, beautiful climate and wonderful customers to deal with. That was an amazing time, I enjoyed it so much and learnt heaps, I would have happily done it for half the money.

It was such a far cry from the vision I had for myself. I am so glad I didn't get my own way