View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
FireSprite

Originally Posted by lizatola View Post
What strikes me as different right now is that AH has repeatedly professed that he's an alcoholic whereas he fought those words for years. He is taking ownership of the damage from the past and is also telling me that he knows there may be too much water under the bridge for our marriage to survive in the future. Basically, I hear more honesty coming from him than ever before in the past and not as much smoke and mirrors and gas lighting crap.
I really hope you are right Liz, for your son's sake if nothing else.

However, my gut tells me this is just another well played card in a long series of manipulations. He's been holding this "ace" up his sleeve for a very, very long time because it's a BIG one & just when you are the closest you've EVER come to independence during this struggle, he decides to use it as trump. After everything that has happened, he's had this unprompted epiphany & is ready to take ownership of everything he denied and/or argued aggressively against previously. Really?

IMO what matters is whether you let it sway you on your boundaries/your goals which is why (again, IMO) you need to be very clear with YOURSELF about how much, how long, what exactly you want out of all of this without waiting to make those decisions based on his recovery success or failure.

I'm really happy for you that things are progressing nicely for your job & your son's schooling! Keep baby stepping!!