View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
I do kinda get it, many non-recovered Codies probably fear their qualifiers recovery attempts for these reasons too - it means they have to change & get dragged out of their own comfort zone as a Codie where ~right or wrong~ they prefer to deal with the "Devil they Know". I've read often on the other side of the forum about situations where the A tries to get sober but their F&F seem to dig in their heels against the addict's recovery to keep the status quo because they are more comfortable with the dysfunction than they are facing the unknown.

But you aren't blind like that Liz, you are IN recovery yourself & have been for a significant time. If you have to "change" to fit in around his recovery, something is wrong, right? You have no more of a guarantee about what tomorrow brings whether he is in a healthy, active recovery or if he is blowing smoke about the whole thing. It's future tripping either way.

BTW - I don't think you are necessarily looking for reasons to "get back on that merry-go-round" as you are expecting it as a possibility because it's possible/likely based on past behavior. I do agree with SK here though - it's a very insidious & subliminal way of wandering over to his side of the street to give too much thought to this kind of stuff. Give yourself a break - when it comes up internally agree to NOT think about those things until he has shown you XXXXX amount of time sober & in recovery ..... & then cross back to your side of the street.
I will keep that in mind when it does come up. For now, I know that his recovery is VERY new but this whole recovery thing on his side of the street is new to both him and to us. I know that right now I am not ready to trust anything that doesn't have a decent amount of time into it. The big question I have to answer is: how many XXXXX amount of time sober and in recovery is needed for me to be able to honestly try again in the marriage? I don't have an answer to that right now.