View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Confused87

SOS. Advice needed.

I'm 26 years old and currently living with my 35 year old boyfriend.
We've been together for a few years now.
Before we started dating I knew he would do cocaine every once in a while, I told him I wouldn't be able to date him if this is a habit he wanted to continue, he told me he didn't do it that often so it wasn't a problem and that he quit.
A few months later we went to a friends wedding, I noticed later in the night he was high and he denied it then later admit that he had done some coke because he was too drunk and wanted to balance himself out.
He promised me that would be the last time.
A few months later he started getting into the habit of staying out til 7 in the morning "drinking" without telling me where he was or that he'd be out that late. This started putting a huge strain on our relationship and we decided to make a 4am curfew. Since then everything has been great until last week we got into an argument. He stayed out and didn't come home until 11:30am. While he was stumbling his words he said "I need help. I have a serious alcohol and drug problem". I let him sleep so he could sober up and we could talk properly when he was awake. He told me everytime he goes out and drinks he has a need to do coke. He says he's at his breaking point and had to finally say it out loud because he couldn't keep trying to fix it himself. I'm proud of him for telling me, I know it must have taken a lot of courage. He has since then gone to an NA meeting and I am going to a support group tomorrow.
I guess I'm just looking to find out how I can completely support him. I love him and want to work on things, it breaks my heart to see him like this. Our relationship is great in every other aspect, I know these things take time but I'm not sure what my role is here. I feel completely isolated and that there's this huge emptiness between us.