View Single Post
Old 06-14-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
tromboneliness

Originally Posted by utopia View Post
the live part is the hardest part for me. invited to live life fully.
Yes, this is hard. I got a taste of it this afternoon, at a company party/outing to an amusement place that featured food, miniature golf, bumper boats, ice cream, and various family activities. My wife and I had lunch with the people I work with, socialized a little, walked around, took a spin on the bumper boats... and then looked at each other and said, we're outta here.

On the way back, I said, "I always feel so disconnected at these social events." I'm lousy at having fun -- OK, the bumper boats were fun, but that's the sort of thing I don't seek out... pretty much ever. I don't do much of anything to have fun for its own sake.

I forget the line exactly from The Promises (ACA red book), but it talks about "We will recognize the importance of play and figure out how to have fun in our lives," or something like that. That's not natural -- it just doesn't occur to me to go out and do something fun. (My wife's pretty much the same way -- but she's also an ACA, so that's no big surprise.)

The "let live" part is, somehow, easier to identify and implement. "Live," well, how are we supposed to really do that?

T