View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Liberator4EVA

I'll say neither, though i've been exposed to both drugs and alcohol in my twenties. I learned there were combinations of life circumstances that could make certain drugs habit forming -

1. working night shifts on a data entry style job where speed and accuracy was required to be maintained... i needed amphetamines to perform. Quit that job, and quit the drugs..

2. working a stressful 9-5 call centre job while sharing a house with pot smokers, i got into smoking pot every evening for a few years. Come bedtime, i was stressing about work the next day. If i didn't get decent sleep, i'd be groggy at work and would make gaffe's/fail to come up with good excuses/counterarguments and get ripped apart by angry customers, then bollocked by my boss. Pot helped me get that sleep and turn up alert for a while , until it didn't. Quit the weed eventually and it wasn't fun. Quit the job after, that was a lot more satisfying.

3. The dreaded booze. I was doing a repair/manual style job, 2pm to 10pm shift. Had a very tough target of 8 repairs to make in that time. Come 10pm you get kicked out the building and have to report your scores. Something would mess up, receive a DOA or incorrect part, or i'd try to rush and break something or make an error. Leave very fustrated and worried for not having hit target. Pass an shop selling alcohol just after leaving work. It closes in 15 minutes. Drive home is half an hour but this is last time to buy booze. Right now, i want it and i buy it. I've calmed down a little by the time i get home, but hell, i've got the beer in front of me now, so i drink it. This scared me. Eventually, working practices changed. The site became 24 hours. If i hadn't hit my target by 10pm, i could stay on and do unpaid overtime till i hit it, or stay on until i was so tired i didn't give a damn anymore and no longer felt stresed. This removed the temptation to booze.

Is there a gender correlation I wonder?

If the child is same gender as the Alcoholic parent, they are more likely to abuse alcohol themselves , due to flawed role model. If opposite, they are more at risk of seeking other addicts as their life partner?