View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
MesaMan

Self Evident

Mentium ~

I suspect you stated above what the best strategy for you now is:

'...I don’t plan to drink or anything – have gained too much and there is too much to lose...'

For me, I changed the word 'plan' to the words 'absolutely will not'. No Meeting or Person or imagined Entity outside my Core Being can implement this. Only I can. Therefore, only I must. Also, I can't depend on something outside myself to make this decision real, daily. I am not compatible with someone/something telling me what to do, including 'remain Sober'.

The good thing about your very interesting Post/Story is a dynamic I've encountered repeatedly in my now-Geezerhood. Sometimes, we have to get our Ears really blasted to know our own upper limit of what 'too loud' is. Sometimes, we have to eat painfully-hot Thai Food to subsequently know the limit of what 'too hot' is. By discovering what 'is not', you find out and calibrate 'what is'.

Perhaps your Meetings experiences have morphed beyond the critical need for camaraderie and hearing similar experiences into discovering that you, and you alone, ultimately have what it takes. You've discovered what you 'don't' need to do to recover and move on for Life. Further, perhaps there's no need to 'go back' to, or 'fret', that which is no longer your best personal course. Thus, to search for the next, 'best' Meeting might be an illusory chase. At the end of 'The Wizard Of Oz', Dorothy similarly discovers that she alone can take herself Home.

This kinda has been the transition in my thinking, made possible by daily Reality Checks and my preferred style of virtual 'Daily Meetings' here at SR whereby I read various Posts and reflect on their lessons. Then, apply them.

I don't hit Women. I don't kick Puppies. And, I don't Drink. Those are all embedded, non-negotiable Behaviors reflecting my Values which I now uphold quite easily sans the fog of Alcohol/Drugs consumption.