View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Florence

We've been married 6 years and in that time frame he has been drunk hundreds of times. When with his buddies or work colleagues he routinely will come home hours later than what he said he would (e.g., come home at midnight instead of 9 pm) and often smells like booze. When we argue, he storms out and goes straight to the bar and stays there for 7-8 hours. On vacations, I see him order a double martini in the airport at breakfast, and then 2 more on the airplane at 9 am. On one vacation he drank an entire bottle of rum in 24 hours by himself. Last week I found a receipt for a lunch he had by himself where he ordered 6 tequilas and 4 bar drinks for a total of 10 drinks at 2:45 pm. That night he came home at 10:30 pm and slept on the couch and smelled like booze the next morning. So I know he drank more between 2:45 pm and 10:30 pm. He showed up drunk for a dinner with my friends a few years ago acted horrifically and never apologized for it. AT times when he has come home late he rings the doorbell deliberately to wake me or flips the lights on while I am sleeping with no regard for me.
That's a lot to drink. I might point out too, that's what you *know* about.

When I first got here, I fretted over whether to call my STBXAH an alcoholic. Someone told me, it matters less that we label him, and it matters more that you have decided that his drinking is a problem for you, and that you don't want to live like this.

Whatever you call it, his drinking means consequences for you, and that's no good.