Old 05-20-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

xAH told kids they'll be homeless... how to respond???

My younger D has been having toileting issues for the past two weeks which is NOT like her... She's also been melting down over everything left and right and going into frightening tantrums where I am afraid she will hurt herself or someone else. Ive talked to her Therapist about it and done what she suggests to help D6 through this...

But last night, driving to lacrosse D6 asked me out of the clear blue

"when will I have to sleep on a sidewalk?" and D8 told her to be quiet.

My stomach dropped and I asked her what she meant and said she would never sleep on a sidewalk.

Long story short, xAH has been telling the girls when he sees them that because Mommy is making him lose his job they will be homeless and can thank Mommy when they have to sleep on a sidewalk...

I know about 2 weeks ago he said this in front of them bc he was screaming it at me on the phone while he was with them. I hung up and hoped that was the end of it.

But it hasn't ended and D6 is worried SICK that she will be homeless. Suddenly her desire to give away her stuffed animals (telling me she doesn't have room for them), her toileting issues, her tantrums etc... make a LOT more sense.

I assured her over and over and over that whether Daddy has a job or not, no one is going to be homeless and that I am so sorry she's been so afraid and scared and that she can talk to me about her worries anytime at all.

She was crying and asking me over and over what homeless means and telling me she notices people who are homeless over by the grocery store (which is true) and that we should save our money so we can have food when we are homeless etc... saying things like "its good its almost summer so I wont be so cold when Im homeless"...

I called the girls therapist last night and left a message that I need the girls to see her asap bc I don't know how to assuage her fears and my reassuring her doesn't seem to be helping...

I finally told her that Daddy was wrong to say that and it wasn't true and he was making a bad choice by saying scary things that were untrue. Her reply was "Daddy wanted to scare me because why did he say it?"

Im totally at my wits end.

What kind of POS "father" makes their CHILD fear that they will be homeless bc he cant control his rage about the consequences of his drinking causing hi to lose his job...

Anyone have advice you'd like to offer about what I could say to D6 to make this any better?