Old 05-17-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Hi Stwa, I am an alcoholic in recovery (~3.5 months in) and in the past I had a complicated long term relationship with another alcoholic who also had other addictive tendencies. Can tell you a bit of a story how things can go if you do "get into it deep", as LBrain expressed above.

When I first met him (nearly 10 years ago), I was not fully aware that I had a drinking problem, or that he had one. But I was drawn to him in part because of his enigmatic nature (now I would say it's the textbook secretive behavior of an addict and someone with many emotional problems) and what I perceived initially as very high personal standards, ethics and level of integrity. We were in the same professional circuit, he had a very high profile job and all - but for me there was an air of mystery around him from the first moment and that was like a magnet for my curious mind...

Well, long story short - I soon got a glimpse into the "other side" of his integrity... But it was fine for a while because I had my many problems as well. I think we both were attracted to each other also because of the lots of mysteries and problems, and we related to each-other so well in the beginning.

I won't get into details but will give you the take home. We turned each other's life upside down pretty effectively over a few years and ended in a deep two-sided obsession that I thought I could not break at all. But I desperately wanted out of that "prison" - of the alcoholism, of the obsessions, of that surreal world that seemed so compelling at first. He never wanted to break any of it. I did in the end - slowly, gradually, through many "relapses".

And the weird messages (drunk or sober)... I won't even get started on that one...

It was such a good decision to cut it but a very hard act to implement for me mentally. I actually separated myself from him even geographically (moved to a different state), but for a good while the mental obsession was even worse than in the early years, and my drinking became worse than ever. Was I in love with him? Or he with me? Yeah but not what I would call "love" now... it was an almost psychic kind of connection. Like a nonstop psychedelic trip, "only" fueled by alcohol, like a fantasy novel, but not healthy and not viable in the real world.

My story is just an example for how these things can turn out in the long run. Like others, I also recommend that you steer clear from him and it will be much easier in this early phase where you are with him now. Do not romanticize chaos. I would leave it now and not contact him. Look for people and relationships that are nourishing and constructive for you.