View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mango blast

Originally Posted by MissFixit View Post
In my experience the first session or two of therapy is when the doctor gets some background on you, why you are there, what you hope to gain. I usually just start talking like I am in an interview and then some topic comes up and I ramble on about that for a while.

That is great you are bringing notes. Very organized.
This thread is a great example how I can say in many words what could have been said in few. I figure if I want to make the most out of this first session -- especially with the graduation and a likely active alcoholic husband and a ton of other people I'll need to talk to at one time or another, I'd better focus in somehow.

Just talking to people I know well the other night at DS7 spring concert had me consciously working my anti-anxiety techniques plus avoiding trigger people AND people I like. I was smiling, talking to people, and internally thinking of who to avoid and how. That was for 90 minutes and we left a few minutes early. This is a whole weekend. My husband and I obviously trigger at different things. He's looking forward to the weekend and I'm working my butt off to prepare myself so I can enjoy it somehow. Mindfulness. Stay in the moment. Pray, eat well, take my supplements. Binaural beats. Plan my sleep time so I'm not awake half the night.