View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Tetra

Yes, I used to get myoclonic jerks:

"Myoclonus /maɪˈɒklənəs/ or /maɪəˈkloʊnəs/ is a brief, involuntary twitching of a muscle or a group of muscles. It describes a medical sign and, generally, is not a diagnosis of a disease. The myoclonic twitches are usually caused by sudden muscle contractions; they also can result from brief lapses of contraction. Contractions are called positive myoclonus; relaxations are called negative myoclonus. The most common time for people to encounter them is while falling asleep (hypnic jerk), but myoclonic jerks are also a sign of a number of neurological disorders. Hiccups are also a kind of myoclonic jerk specifically affecting the diaphragm".

"A myoclonic jerk is the brief, involuntary twitching of a muscle or group of muscles. It may be caused either by a sudden muscle contraction, or a sudden lapse of contraction. This happens when a person is on the verge of falling asleep, and suddenly have a sensation or feeling that they are free falling through the air. Contractions are called positive myoclonus; relaxations are called negative myoclonus. When falling asleep, it is common for people to experience a type of myoclonic jerk known as a hypnic jerk. Hiccups are also a kind of myoclonic jerk specifically affecting the diaphragm".

I also take a small amount of klonopin at night (prescribed by my neurologist) as I have had seizures in the past. I used to get these jerks (my arm or leg would twitch) at any time of the day, not just at night. Since I have quit drinking, they have all cleared up.