Thread: My soulmate
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
honeypig

Hi, Luna--welcome to SR. There is a lot of hard-won experience, strength and hope here. It's been a life-saver for me. You've gotten some good advice already, and I hope you can take it to heart.

The more you read here, the more you'll realize you're not alone. There are so many stories so much like yours. Make sure you don't miss the stickies at the top of the page also. Here's a sample of the kind of thing you'll find in that area: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html

I'd like to second those who suggest Alanon. It's a great source of information and support. Here's a link to help you find a meeting and also to provide some general info about what Alanon is and how it works: http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/ You also may find it helpful to read some Alanon literature. Often your local library will have some, and there's a ton of it available on Amazon also.

One more thing: I'd like to echo the thought about the "soul mate" label being potentially limiting. I agree; I think it helps to keep our blinders on so we're not open to the many, many other possibilities for finding happiness besides with that one particular person. You state that you're young, and I think that probably makes it even harder--age does bring a certain perspective. I expected my "soul mate" A to magically fix all my problems. Guess what? That didn't happen. Now, 20 years into the relationship, I'm finally learning that I need to be the one to fix my problems. At this point, he is 9 months sober, so far as I know, and we are still together so far. However, things are not perfect, and we may or may not end up staying together--there is a lot of water under the bridge, a lot of destroyed trust, a lot of uncertainty about who he even is, in reality, for me.

So again, welcome to SR. The more time you can spend here reading and the more you can learn about alcoholism, the better equipped you'll be to see clearly and make wise decisions for yourself. Wishing you strength and clarity.