Old 05-06-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
samseb5351

Originally Posted by fini View Post
. samseb, for the most part, that is how it was for the first year or two of my sobriety. i knew i couldn't do 12-step, and so i looked and looked and found Lifering, where i fit in beautifully. for the first few years. no unquestioned absolutes, no powerlessness. open questions encouraged. thinking encouraged. skepticism fine. no prayers. it was right for me. how that would have been for you? you can't know, now. how is it for you today? the funny thing for me (not haha funny) was that my honest questioning and looking at my own experience led me away from my initial lenses to a different view of what my reality had actually been while drinking and trying a multitude of times to quit and stay quit. not sure why i'm saying this to you exactly; it struck me that i had much the scenario you wonder about having, yet it's not where my conclusions left me be. i agree that mostly at the beginning, esp. after many tries, we are often overwhelmed and confused and have no idea what might "work". your concept of creating your own critical thinking filter seems to counter your later suggestion of questioning everything. it was questioning everything with allowing filters to drop away as my courage increased, so to speak, that got me to understand what's true for me. hm...are you thinking you lost out, somehow, by not starting out that way?
Thanks for that response.

Alot to ponder here and I really appreciate the dialogue.

I hope I didn't give the impression my post was about regret it not that way for me, at least I don't think so. As much as I don't really get into "my past made me who I am today" thinking ,it cant be changed. However I do see some value in my own de converted process from "Big book thumper" to atheist free thinker.
How is it today?
My 10th year this year of being gambling free, and pondering the idea that gambling is a possible option is very easily dismissed. My life today is rich with learning and ideas and I am almost 50, the thing that I really enjoy is learning about Human Nature, including myself. On the downside I do recognize certain levels of immaturity in myself and can become emotionally attached to "not getting things my way" but recently I have been getting some value in using really simple techniques like ABC's found in SMART recovery., to me they are fit well into the " critical thinking" process.

I think my language may of been a bit loose, when I wrote "I create my own critical thinking filter" what I really mean is I use a critical thinking filter (not my creation) which means I do try to question everything, that is a major part of "critical thinking".

Thank you