View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NewYorker99

What's your thoughts?

I'm 38 and a non-drinker and have never enjoyed alcohol.

One month ago, after 2.5 years together (1.5 yrs. living together) I broke up with my AGF because of her drinking. A week and a half ago when we had met, she broke down (which I had never seen her do before) and admitted to having a drinking problem. She had also apologized for everything she has put me through during our relationship. It's a very big step for her I realize. Since then, she hasn't stopped drinking which doesn't surprise me.

A few days ago, I asked her again what she intends to do as far as seeking help.

My exAGF is 28 has been on the same daily medication for depression for about eight years and also has anxiety issues which pre-dates when she had first started drinking regularly at 23.

She said that a co-worker of hers (presumably not aware of her drinking issue) suggested that she go see a psychiatrist. One that the co-worker recommended.

I'm not sure that this may be the best course of action for my exAGF since I know that a lot of psychiatrists are notorious pill-pushers. I'm conflicted between thinking "I guess some help is better than no help" and taking pills may result in her developing a new chemical dependency.

Just wanted input from you guys on this.