Old 04-28-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EveningRose

Yes, he does sound just like my father, who is an alcoholic.

And I dread to think someday my children will think this of me. But of course, children of alcoholics also make our choices as to whether to get help or not. I've pursued self help books, al-anon, and online sources of help, along with six months of EMDR therapy, since I was in high school.

My ex-husband is also an adult child of an alcoholic, who spent our marriage lying about anything and everything. My siblings, of course, are adult children of alcoholics, and I don't think any of them have ever looked into al-anon. I don't think they believe there's a problem. (Well, they believe I'm the problem.)

One thing I did learn when my XH looked into a job for which he needed a psych profile, is that adult children of alcoholics often do show the same profile on the MMPI as an alcoholic. XH never drank at all, never really had, but his scores on the personality inventory told them he was an alcoholic. He was quite upset about it, of course, feeling he was being punished for his father's ways.

What can you do about your father? Smile, nod, and walk away. Realize no amount of arguing is going to change who he is. Limit contact if need be. Accept that he is not capable of anything other than a very superficial relationship. Don't expect more of him.