Old 04-28-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cureav

Oldest (of five) adult child of alcoholic

Hi there, my father is the oldest child of alcoholic (his father was an alcoholic), he is 64 now and I can't talk to him because of his lies, crazy making, distorting my reality (in his talks 2+2 are 3), he forces himself to forget things about us (his children) that are not pleasant for him where he has some responsibility, and than when that thing come up in discussion, we are the crazy ones...
My mother, I don't know, she is a church type, she does nothing, she only prays.
Things are very tight lately, I cannot be in the same room with him cause his reality is different; when he talks to the neighbors, he is charming, funny, "educated",.. but when he enters house, he don't speak with us, he is silently angry, he is never wrong - and when it proves that he is wrong, he says that he is wrong for everything in this house. For him its black or white.
To be with him in the same room means you need to be a split person, a double one. You need to pick a words, don't talk smart, and believe in his reality. The moment I created my own opinion about something, was the moment I realized that he doesn't need kids with brains.
He never accepted that he have a scars from his alcoholic parent upbringing.
He carries his deep anger towards his father, but in the other hand, he is a hero of his ex family. I know that he don't lie on purpose, but just as a protection, but he has ruined our trust completely.
Somehow, he is drunk without alcohol.
I have read so many things about ACoAs and he don't want to hear about it.
Soon I'll leave this house cause of job, and I think that I'll carry my own anger towards this unresolved issues. No matter how many times I say to myself that I cannot help someone if he doesn't want to change, but that just eats me. Where is that boundary?

Anyone knows, is there anything left to do?
Thanks