View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
GracieLou

I am not sure if it is a sadness I feel but the fact that it cannot be prevented in the first place, at least in my case and I feel in many cases.

I was born this way.

I had someone ask me once about how you could prevent someone from being an alcoholic and the only answer I could think of was to never drink, ever. To never have that first one or at the very least that first drunk.

So many have their first taste as children and in most cases their first drunk as children or teenagers. They are hooked from a young age.

I am not talking about banning alcohol. For many it is not a problem/addiction. There are far more normal people out there than alcoholics. Removing it from society is not the answer so preventing it in the first place would be impossible. Education can help but in my opinion for the real alcoholic trying to teach them moderation is not possible. If I could have learned that, I would not be an alcoholic.

I laugh every time I see a billboard, TV commercial or ad that has "drink responsibly". They are not talking to me. That does not apply to me and never has. I don't drink that way. One drink and responsibility no longer applies. Moderation no longer applies. I can only learn to live without it, period and learning to live a life without it is the key. I could not just walk away or set it down.

I guess the sadness I find is that we can pass this predisposition on to our children. My daughter is well on her way. My son does not drink often, his vice is pot but that does not really make a difference. Addiction is addiction. We not only pass on the genes but we show them by our actions the way to live with it, not without it. For many, as myself, the lesson they could have used comes way to late as they are already raised and out of the house and they take with them their own resentments that they may need to write down one day.

That, at times, makes me sad and the hardest part is knowing there is nothing I can do about it.