View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
kph

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
If you were really, truly happy while drinking you wouldn't be here. I came here when I was never happy drunk or sober. The drinking helped me tolerate my misery but that was about it. I still have down days but they are not as bad as they used to be.

There are a couple of things that stand out about your post. Drinking while waiting for anti depressants to kick in makes sure they won't kick in. Alcohol negates their effectiveness so it's all basically a wash. Believe me, I've tried it. It didn't work for me.

Second. You said you can't afford a decent education but have you ever calculated how much you spend on alcohol? I could have sent myself to Harvard for a couple of years on what I spent on alcohol. I worry about retirement but if I had put away the thousands and thousands of dollars I've wasted pouring down my throat I would have a nice nest egg. You could start saving a little at a time and get the education you want. You might feel better if you set a goal and work towards it a little at a time.

You are in the right place for support if you choose to quit. Welcome.
I honestly see where you're coming from. Before I did meds I dried out. We spent months trying out to see what worked and the doctor didn't seem to know what to do. Each time nothing would happen and I just felt ill. It was taking so long so in the end I ended up throwing the antidepressants away and going back to drinking instead. The last time I tried therapy it was a bad experience too. It would take years to buy an education on my salary. The problem is drinking has been the only thing that works to lift my mood. The day is misery without drinking.