View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ukiah77

My RAH is saying the same thing, he made a promise to himself and the whole family that he would "quit for a year." We are around month 5 now. I am scared and anxious what is going to happen at the year mark. I've tried to talk to him about it (he is not in AA) but he gets defensive and has the I-already-quit-drinking-what-more-do-you-want-from-me attitude. Things have been leaps and bounds better in our household and as a family, and going back to the hell that it was before he quit is not an option. How do you convince these RA's in such denial that no, in fact, they CAN NOT start drinking at _____ date and time. It's almost like the only way they could quit is if they give themselves a "reward" (to drink again) in the future to look forward to. My RAH is definitely making comments like he can't wait to start drinking again so he can _______. Whatever, fill in the blank, so he can attend parties again, so he can finally have fun again, so he can hang out with the guys again, etc.. It so annoying to hear him say those things and it breaks my heart. He is such a wonderfully different person when he's sober. But I can not force him to do anything one way or the other, all I can do is make my own choices.