View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
CodeJob

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
Thank you for this post, CJ. I'm glad he's got a year under his belt. I'm sorry it's still such a struggle.

But that's why your post is important, I think. I've talked before about my former coworker who was a couple years sober when I met him. His wife stuck by him through rehab and recovery and such, but she says now "if I had known how hard it would be and how long it would take, I'm not sure I would have had the guts to do it." They've got a good marriage now, but she said it took a good 15 years before she was truly enjoying being with him.

That's just one story. But when I was married to an A, I sort of thought that if he just got sober, all would be well. I've learned here that it's not just the As getting sober and us getting out of the crazy loop. It also takes TIME. Maybe not 15 years for everyone -- but it takes time. And I think if we know that going in, we are less disappointed when an A comes back from rehab and is not drinking but still largely behaving like before they went in...
OMG Lil- 15 years? This week RAH showed me a retirement home. I said yes it is really nice but did not stop pressing through the mail purge. Later that night I noticed the ^}%}#**]%]* house cut out and on the fridge. I told myself to chillax as at least he was thinking of the future in a positive way. The next night he was talking foundation! Umm hello MCFly, we are roommates and have some issues to work out before we ever get to deciding on retirement home! That would probably be in about 15 years... AGH! I am no longer young!