View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
redatlanta

OT - narcissistic personality disorder

Per my recent thread I have been having issues with my business partner. Since that thread I have detached from him completely. At this point I am so disinterested in him I could care less if I ever see him again.

Detaching has given me some perspective into his actions which I have attributed to his stress at home, his bf addiction etc. maybe his own use. Yesterday I came into my business and found it a mess. Hair color on the floor, trash can over flowing, chemicals left out and open, sink a mess. After cleaning it up (yeah I had to I had clients coming in and that is a violation of state board) I made a list of his actions since we have worked together.

He doesn't clean - won't. We have argued continuously about this.

He has no respect for my personal property. Takes and uses it without apology.
When confronted about problems such as the above instead of apologizing or changing the behavior he blames me.

He seems to have more need for being complimented than anyone I have ever met before. He is an outstanding colorist, maybe the best I have ever known, yet his business does not reflect that. He is not motivated by money only seems to be motivated by acknowledgement that he is the best.

He makes fun of other stylist friends of ours and their talents. They are all very good - and far more successful than he is. He will turn business away because he doesn't like the client's appearance even though he is broke. he will refuse to do someone if they don't' agree to "his way".

He has lost clients because he refuses to do what they ask. If a client returns because they are unhappy (because he refused to do what they asked) he gets angry and denigrates them (to me) for having no taste.

He lies. Constantly. Usually the lie is self generated i.e. not based on something I have asked him, rather, based on information that he starts talking about himself. He seems to forget that he tells these things often and then later contradicts himself by saying something about it. When questioned, he will say he never said it in the first place or not acknowledge what he said. Often there lies are based on grandiosity and events that never occur. I would not even ask him what time it is I am not sure he would tell me the truth.

He does not bode well with the few rules there. In fact when I ask him to do something, such as give me his current license, he will say ok then never do it. There are many examples of that.

He doesn't have any empathy for anybody. His parents cosigned a loan for him many years ago and he has stopped paying on it. They are upset and he hung the phone up on them when they called about it! He said to me "he can't help it he has been sick and he can't believe they are trying to make him feel guilty when he has been sick". ????? mouth on floor.

So I googled this behavior yesterday and it came back with NPD. Google is such a good psychiatrist lol! I don't know if he is obviously, but the shoe does seem to fit.

I am in process of finding someone to replace him. RAH wants to have a "talk" with him - I have had many. I don't see any reason to. I just want him gone. I suppose it doesn't really matter since I plan on firing him ASAP (its could take some time though) - I would like some feedback from those who have dealt with it and perhaps some pointers on dealing with people like this.