Thread: Hi, im new
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Confuseddotcom

well, i went to my gp and discussed my addiction and was referred to a clinic. I now have the support of a psychiatrist, psychologist and psychiatric nurse, who is my case holder. So far, i have been put on medication for my bipolar II, depression and anxiety and i am receiving cbt to deal with my behaviours and thinking.
Maybe if you went to see a medical professional about your addiction, you would be given alternative routes to treatment?
There are so many different programs available, i have been reading myself silly over the last week or so and i have learned a lot and have found some great tools that i now have to learn to apply to real life.
I found writing things down and keeping logs has helped me a lot, you can use all sorts of tools that come from cbt on your road to recovery. I like to do my ABCs (activating situation, (irrational) Belief, Consequence, then you look at your B and see how you can turn that into a more productive, positive way to deal with a given situations/thought/emotions. Another great tool for me is the cost/benefit analysis. What is the benefit of me taking those pills? What is the "cost" or negative side to me taking those pills? By the time ive written those out, the urge has usually gone and i have another little step on my ladder to staying and being off the pills.