View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 04:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
AllThatGlitters
anyone who ever had a dream

This is a good thread, thanks for posting, everyone.

From what I've learned about psychology from my therapist, there are three main "dramas"-- Victim, Persecutor, and Rescuer. Has anyone else heard of these?

These are roles for dramas that people frequently carry out. People that assume these dramatic roles frequently have issues that they need to work out in therapy. Usually, someone will play a role while their partner plays another one and they have a drama. Usually it's dramatic personality types that fall into this trap, and they're typically attracted to other dramatic personality types, avoiding healthy people who don't play roles because then it won't work out between them.

Sometimes alcoholics can play rescuer, too. It's not always the co-dependent. For example, my best friend made friends with me by "saving" me one day when I was really high and making a fool out of myself. She happens to be an addict/ alcoholic herself. We clicked right away, it was like we were "meant to be" friends. I realize now that that's just because we were both playing these dramatic roles that worked well together, not because we ever really got to know each other and liked what we saw.

This is just from what I learned in therapy, I don't know. It makes sense to me, though.

What do you all think?