View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

Originally Posted by samseb5351 View Post

1) whats the science behind rational recovery?

2) when the AVRT is mentioned is that just a framework of identifying how we self justify or is it considered a separate entity to "self"?

3) Why call it a "beast" it looks like a word to describe something horrid and animal like, a word to create a target for self willed attacks, am I missing something here?
The science behind RR is just neuroscience. This as far as I know is fact so I don't know why anyone ever disputes it. Here is an article I haven't read yet but which looks interesting... Neuroscience of need - Understanding the addicted mind - 2012 SPRING - Stanford Medicine Magazine - Stanford University School of Medicine

AVRT is just a technique to help you identify what is the beast brain and what is you. The beast brain isn't a separate entity, it is still part of you, it just drives your basic needs, and it has mistakenly identified alcohol as one of them (because of the neurosciency stuff).

It is only called your beast brain as this is the part all animals have to drive their need for food water etc and also their ability to breath etc, all the stuff you don't have to make a decision to do. But the advantage of having a well developed frontal cortex is that once we identify that it is the beast/lizard/mid brain driving that desire it makes it easier to overcome.