View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
iSPAZ

Kristen0408
I too was scared when going through divorce and the destruction of my family. If you get blamed for the issues please discount whoever is spilling their venom. They likely have never been through what you are going through and certainly do not have all the details. Fortunately your kids are young enough to not catch any of the blame for his drinking problem. I have seen that so many times and it can really carry a toll for them. Once the divorce was final I felt lost for a while because the chaos pretty much was over. I had to fill my time with positive experiences as I suddenly had more time than I had been used to in years because I had been carrying the vast amount of the load. Financially things got worse for about 6months or a year because of paying attorneys and footing the bill for everything all at once. Things now are much better financially as I am not subsidizing bar tabs and stupid financial decisions. Also I do not live in fear that a DUI accident will bankrupt me and my remaining family. Not to mention the guilt of someone in my family hurting an innocent person or family. I did have to give up so much that was very important to me in order to settle the divorce like the family farm and much of my inheritance. I had to realize it is all just stuff and can be rebuilt over time if I so choose. Now I spend more quality time with my kids and do the things we decide to do not always something that involves getting wasted. We can actually go to a restaurant without first checking if they serve alcohol.
Hope thing go as best they can with your divorce. Know that it takes a very strong person to live with someone with a addiction and take care of YOURSELF!!