View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 01:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
samseb5351

I am all for the idea that people should do what they want or need in recovery to stay sober. The problems come when personal recoveries become standard dogma of recovery. Its a bit like the separation of church and state issue, every person has the right to practice what they want but when it makes its way into law or schools or government or public places it sets people aside, it creates discrimination and intolerance.
I see the same thing in recovery rooms, therapists clinics, rehabs and online. The overwhelming amount of access points for struggling alcoholics and addicts require wading through a barrage of unfounded and unscientific ideas. Suggestions of powerless and higher powers, ideas we overthink or should just listen, faking it until we make it, disease models and the list goes on............ Simply fall apart when challenged with honest investigation and reason. We may have come a lot further with funding for decent science and addiction research if the secular medical professionals didn't also have to wade through the same stuff we do.

I don't make these statements lightly as a de-converted big book thumper I have tackled many issues in my life, and came to the conclusion I was never powerless just addicted, immature and unskilled.

Thanks