View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MissFixit

Originally Posted by Jaded623 View Post
I just started regularly attending Al-Anon meetings this past December. I was advised by someone I used to be close with, that I needed to get a sponsor ASAP and he also suggested who I should ask. I gathered up the courage to ask her, and she said yes...which really made me feel like I was going in the right path. I had no idea really what this new relationship entailed, and I guess that's something I should have talked to her about from the very start. I did meet with her a few times, and we would talk pretty regularly via text, or at meetings. She just recently started giving me assignments, and I was doing them... I did share with her a conversation that I had with my mother, and she said she "highly recommended" that I go on a black out starting now, meaning I was to stop having contact with her. My mother is currently newly sober (again), but this is something I honestly can NOT do... at least when she is sober.

Well this week, I haven't really talked to my sponsor... It's been a tough week, and I guess I kind of "fell off the al-anon wagon" for a week. I lost my license in the beginning of the week for medical reasons, and found out one of my former students who I was very close to, was near death and wanted me to visit her (over an hour away). I was so overwhelmed with getting rides, asking for help, accepting that I will not have a license for 60 days... and then after seeing my student, I just shut down for a couple of days.

Once I realized I needed to get out of my rut, I sent my sponsor a friendly text and got no response. Right away, I thought, is she mad at me??? But then convinced myself that I was being paranoid, and so I texted her again tonight. She responded that when I got a chance, I needed to call her... so I did.

She then preceded to tell me that she has been advised to longer be my sponsor, and that she isn't able to give me what I need. She also said she would be more than willing to suggest some other people to be my sponsor if I liked.... I felt completely blindsided! At this point, I am holding back my tears, and all I really asked was what should I be looking for in a sponsor, because I really didn't know. She responded that I seem really into the ACOA stuff, and maybe I should try that. But that was it?!? No real reasoning as to why she doesn't want to be my sponsor anymore!

A friend of mine suggested that maybe she felt that I wasn't doing my part, or following her direction... but then why wouldn't you tell me that???

I feel so abandoned, embarrassed, hurt, rejected... and honestly, it's just turned me off to the whole al-anon program. Why would I want to be apart of something that makes me feel uncomfortable and completely paranoid as to what others are thinking of me. It's going to take me a LONG time until I have the courage to ask anyone to be my sponsor again. I feel like a 5 year old right now... I sobbed for the first hour or so, and now I'm starting to just feel anger.

My feelings are really hurt, and I just feel like I have to start all over.... (and I wasn't even far)

Anyone have any words of wisdom???
I am sorry you are sad. Rejection is never a fun experience.

It sounds like your former sponsor and you just weren't a good fit. Nothing wrong with either one of you. Not everyone gets along or works well together.

From what you wrote you admit that you "fell off the al-anon wagon." Some people are okay with that, others are not. Maybe with the next sponsor, you relate this experience to the candidate and either look for someone who is a little less strict or you decide that you will be hard core and not fall off, no exceptions. Again, from what you write, neither of you did anything bad or wrong, it just wasn't a good fit.