View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
teetotalitarian

Hi Parrotice, I agree with others that the best treatment is abstinence from alcohol and drugs. Maybe you can't target-heal your liver, but you can approach healing your whole body from a holistic angle.

This is what I'm doing for myself:

-eating a high protein diet as tolerated while my liver heals, avoiding simple carbohydrates (those with a high GI index), avoiding processed foods.

-I take supplements of vitamins A, C, K (especially K), and B complex as well as a probiotic (I like fermented foods, like sauerkraut) because liver damage tends to disrupt GI flora (the good guys in your gut that fend off illnesses; this also purportedly affects depression and sleep patterns. My sleep patterns suck.)

-You might also want to check your hemoglobin levels and take iron supplements if they're low. I started taking iron because I'm borderline anemic.

^not medical advice.
I'm a student in the medical field. I know a few things, but mostly don't know a lot of things yet, but I have to pretend I do. Just how I'm working on my own health. I slip up a lot. I ate a bunch of fried chicken tonight, and I think my body hates me from years of abuse.