View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
MissFixit

Originally Posted by lizatola View Post
That's what I'm hoping. Although, what I'd like to see happen is that my ds will speak his mind and stand up for what he wants instead of just going along with what dad wants because he's afraid of the fallout. We've actually had practice conversations where he says what he wants to say, I give feedback, etc. I think it's been really helpful and he's expressed his gratitude a few times already.

I calculated the airfare costs based on today's pricing for those flights and came up with around $10,000 just for flying. I can't imagine how much everything else will cost.

To answer someone else's question: Yes, AH has traveled abroad. He was in England for work for a few weeks, he went to Germany for a Rugby event way back in college, and we went on our ten year anniversary to France and Italy.

I did all the planning for the Italy trip. Every last detail was done. I had every day planned, I had every penny accounted for, I knew how to speak the language relatively well, I made cheat sheets and laminated them with the Embassy numbers, hotel numbers, train info, etc and gave him his own copy. I planned for theft by having us use money belts. Basically, I covered everything and all he had to do was sit back and show up. He told me what cities he would like to see and what attractions were most interesting to him so I tried to get us to places where we could cover that. I had a friend in Pisa at the time and I did want to visit her but that was convenient because he wanted to see the Leaning Tower, LOL. Anyway, every single trip we've ever been on has been on my initiative and my planning. Hawaii, Cayman Islands, Seattle, Denver, blah blah blah....It will be interesting to see how he does with planning and the whole thing has my son nervous because he knows that dad's never planned a trip to even San Diego, let alone a trip around the world!
I doubt he will plan like you did and the costs will be MUCH more expensive on the fly. Also, when traveling internationally and on an intense schedule, there is no room for error, so if something is delayed/cancelled you will have to pay to accommodate that and make last minute changes. They will be wiped out and find they want to/need to pay for taxis, porters, tour guides rather than walk, carry and figure it out themselves. They will probably want to stay in nicer western hotels in asia and africa and those will cost more too. These things are just the reality of traveling like that.

Two weeks isn't that long. Why not pick ONE country and thoroughly explore that?