View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lizatola

Grandiose plans of an alcoholic

Sigh...my AH is trying to plan a 'trip around the world' for himself and our son. He wants to take son to various places starting in Tokyo and thinks he can do all this in a 2 week span of time in October. I have so many reservations and snarky comments I want to make but I'm keeping it to myself.

At this point, son does not want to go but hasn't expressed that to his father yet. I have been rehearsing conversations with him, trying not to project, but just listening to his fears and questions and then giving him feedback so that he can tell his father the truth and suggest that they do the trip when he is done with high school when he's 18.(he's 15 now). I told him that he could suggest a trip closer to home that they could do together so that AH understands that our son is just not feeling mature enough for something like this and that he would love to do something less anxiety producing, etc.

For now, AH wants to go to Tokyo, then South Africa, then Egypt to see the Pyramids, then to Spain, and then possibly to Ireland or England. Yes, he says he can do all this in 2 weeks and I WILL NOT allow myself to point out all the impracticalities and my own concerns of said trip. IE:
1.Ummm, do you realize how much time you will spend on airplanes and in airports?
2. 2 days in Tokyo, you'll barely be able to see anything because you'll spend the first day just figuring out where you are on the maps!
3. Egypt? Probably not the safest place to take your 15 year old, considering there are travel advisories to US citizens right now and they tend to shut down the Embassy in Cairo frequently.
4. Umm, a ferry trip off the coast of Africa? Hmm, there's no way in h*ll you're taking our 15 year old in pirate infested waters...just sayin'.
5. Drum roll please.....and where the h*ll is the money going to come from? I'm hoping this is coming from his inheritance that he should be getting soon!
6. Has he considered that this is during the school year and that son will have a lot of work to make up?
7. Seriously, Japan?? My AH hates fish. I mean, hates it with a passion. Isn't fish a main staple in their diets? I guess he could live off rice for a few days, LOL!

Actually, what I'm hoping is that my son gets strong enough to speak his peace and express his truth and his fears honestly to his father. I am trying to NOT get involved. My sponsor thinks he's all talk and no action and that this is yet another tactic to get a rise out of me. I'm not so sure because he keeps talking about it to son and it's been a few weeks now and he's not letting up. I literally have had to pretend there is tape on my mouth because the momma bear in me wants to run into the room screaming: ARE YOU NUTS???