View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
lillamy

I want to end it but he begs and pleads and my kids are attached to him, and I adore his parents who told me I was either a saint or a stupid.... they agree he has a problem and told me he will lie to my face.
If his parents say that, then you probably don't have to wonder a whole lot about whether he has a problem or not.

I naturally worry about peoples feelings, more so because I hate seeing anyone hurting
and that is a lovely personality trait -- until you run into someone who so desperately wants someone they can use for that particular trait... caring and compassion can be turned into codependency so quickly, and you were wise to get away. You have people close to you who need your help -- he is an adult and doesn't.

he is no longer my responsibility, but with anyone suffering addiction and the associated mental problems.. it can cause a relapse and,,
Language. Please. I have this on authority from addicts themselves -- nothing causes a relapse. Things may happen in a sober addict's life that they use as an excuse to take a relapse. When an addict says something or someone caused a relapse, they're running from responsibility.

His addiction is his responsibility. It's not yours. It never was yours. Even when you were dating.

Chin up, buttercup.