View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
doggonecarl
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by ToddE1 View Post
The idea behind it is that everyone's brain processes things differently.... If they teach multiple ways, the idea behind that is more students will learn it, because one of the methods is likely to match the way their brain processes things. Isn't recovery really just a bit of retraining our brain? Why not look at several methods until we find what fits best?
I was thinking the same thing, Todd, when I ran across something about Learning Styles and wondered if our learning style in any way influenced our recovery.

Learning styles are the different ways we learn. Someone may be very good and writing and speaking, someone else can be shown how to do a complex task and can master it in one try. Others may learn alone, while another may learn best in a group.

Since we are "learning" to live sober, our learning style should be taken into consideration. I've seen a number of newcomers who use SR as their sole means of recovery and they struggle. Why? Perhaps the online format does not align with their learning style...they may need a group setting, need to be walked through a specific process, step-by-step, by someone with knowledge and experience. Even lack of computer skills can account for someone struggling with using SR as their primary recovery tool.

In the same way, a recomendation to read such-and-such a recovery book won't help if the person lacks ability to self study or comprehend written content.

I think it's important when deciding to add to your recovery tool set, or if someone suggests that you create a recovery plan, that you think about how you learned in the past, determined what worked and what didn't, and align your recovery methods to those learning styles.