Old 03-22-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Lance40

I think I understand your point. It reminds me of a post I read yesterday where someone said they were on Day 17 and didn't feel any different and were asking if that was normal. I really related with that question. Although so much has changed for the better in just 3 weeks such as gaining mental clarity, not feeling sick and tired and hungover, becoming productive at work and a lot of other things - somehow I don't "feel" any different. It's like I got so used to substances that it's almost as if I expected to get a "high" from sobriety when in reality it's been more like the absence of the "high" and the "low". Is that what you are talking about?

Also like you posted about yourself, I'm also not known as a moderate person. No matter what I latch onto, I tend to take it to extreme or excess no matter if it's beneficial, harmless or potentially destructive. It tends to work in my favour with something like sobriety because I go "all out" into being sober. Conversely, it works just the opposite when I find something such as alcohol or drugs. I see it at play already with caffeine since I've quit drinking - my coffee consumption is slowly ramping up in the 3 weeks I've been sober.

Although I firmly believe people like you and I should permanently stay away from alcohol, how do you think it is best for us look at and best deal with that part of our nature that pushes us to excess? Should it be something that we look to change, or is it something that is better dealt with by ensuring that the motivation and energy is pointed in the right direction?