View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JustAYak
Clever Yak

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
"Normal people don't understand me."
"I don't have anything in common with normal people."
These two largely me...others not too much. I certainly hung with people I related to, tended to be "broken" but did not feel need to fix. I felt so broken myself that not able fix anyone else...couldn't fix father or mother, so thought how I fix anyone else? I guess I differed that way. But the two I quote, largely what I felt all through teens and still now (I'm 22). Hard form relationships with people when feel unable to connect because you just not feel "normal." Hard to trust and build bonds.

One way I find overcome "broken" people relationship is to talk to people with common interest, not common experience...though sometimes common experience be beneficial, keep that in mind. As long as it's about sharing experience, not "solving" problems not able solved.

If daughter has need for fixing people, therapy probably only thing that really help. But it won't help unless she want to do it. If she get good feeling from help somebody though...not bad thing. Only detrimental when she trying "fix" people can't be helped.

"She doesn't have any other friends and I want to prove to her that she is worthy of having friends, that she's a sweet person, and that people can love her."
"Everyone else hates her and calls her a b***h but she's not, and I want people to see that."
I actually see no issue with these unless person she is being friends with is being mean to her some reason, bullying her. It takes lots guts be friends with unpopular person in school... shows your child is not conceited, which I applaud. I was quiet, shy, and distance myself from everyone in school (even now sometimes)...did not many friends, "unpopular." I would be wary, but also happy if child like yours try be my friend when I was in high school. Would not feel so alone. To me this is kind of like making friend with kids with down syndrome at school. They automatically unpopular. Some kids be friends with them because we all know disability not make you bad person, want help down syndrome kid feel included. Makes you feel good and them. Others too afraid let reputation suffer being friends with "that kid." By statement quoted above, seem like your children not that way.