Old 03-22-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
carmen220

I was just reviewing the comments on this thread to remind myself what you all had advised. Yesterday, he was mean again. We had been going along, no problems, talking on the phone, enjoying laughing and chatting about our week.

I was telling him how much I liked his parents, when suddenly, he said, "that's funny" "they don't like you". It was like bullet came out of no where and stuck me. I was clearly upset and told him "this isn't funny. is this one of your jokes (he finds humor in hurtful "jokes")? I said, "you used to say that they adored me. How is it now that they suddenly don't like me". He said, "they don't think we are right for each other". Again, I tried to get him to stop with the "joke", but he said he was serious.

It felt like a cruel mind game that he was playing. It's like for no reason, he wanted to upset/hurt me AND it worked. He said my response was like "a child and that he never dated anyone that was as emotional" as me. He then preceded to say, "you must have a low self esteem if you care so much about what other people think." I said, "there's nothing wrong with my self esteem. That was just cruel!"

Who would say this to their girlfriend (so casually) that they claimed to love and claimed his family loved as well?

Then he wanted to change the subject and keep talking as if nothing was wrong. Still, clearly upset, I told him I had to go. He was still talking when I hung up.

I was sad and in tears the rest of the day. I don't know if he's just mean, or the alcohol made him do it, or he is mental. Even if it were true, which I doubt, who would repeat that and why? His parents always acted like they liked me a lot(I have never been a drinker), especially when they learned that I managed to get him to an AA meeting.

I'm pretty sure he will eventually tell me that "what's wrong with you, can't you take a joke"? "your too sensitive". This IS emotional abuse, right? Wouldn't this upset anyone?