View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mellybug

In my experience (I have dated more than one A)...it only gets worse. The more their bodies get dependent on the alcohol, the more "tolerance", the more damage it does to their brains, livers, kidneys, blood pressure, etc.

Don't feel bad for having found another A...I dated on in college that physically assaulted me and I said I'd never date another A again! Then I started dating another one and it slowly came to light that he was an A...Then I started dating another guy and found out after moving with him he was an A. This last one was the same thing - I knew he liked to drink, but until moving in with him I had no idea just how bad it was!

It's not like they walk around with signs around their necks or tattoos on their foreheads saying, "I'm an alcoholic"...just as I don't walk around with "I'm a codependent" on mine! (Although, through Al-Anon I'm working on it). A lot of them are good at "hiding" just how bad it is - denial plays a huge part in it. Be gentle with yourself...

PAY ATTENTION to those red flags...or one day you'll look back and say, "The signs were all there, I just didn't want to believe it." Even if you decide not to act upon it, at least do your best to see it clearly for what it is, not what you'd like it to be (my issue).