View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sickpuppy33

ABf starting counseling

After an incredibly rocky 4 months with my alcoholic bf post DUI, he began counseling today. After the worst weekend yet (didn't hear from him Fri-Sun), I packed up his clothes and texted him asking him to move his things out and back to his parents. I didn't expect him to do this without a fight (tears, blame, twisted perspectives/claims etc) and I was right. He came home Monday morning angry as could be. Utilizing my research on codependency, I avoided a fight as best I could. I told him I was sorry he felt that way, but I could not be with him as long as he continues to abuse. I left him there and went to tackle my day. Was it wrong to give him an ultimatum? Anyways...I went to work and when I came home his things were still here, but he'd spent the day cleaning the apartment, grocery shopping, and cooking in the crock pot (huh?!). He'd wrote me a long letter ultimately owning up to his drinking and the many issues it's caused us. He'd gone to his mom for help scheduling an appointment with a counselor..I was thrilled with this huge step, and didn't even bring up the fact that I'd kicked him out that morning. He had his first appointment today. I love him and he means the world to me, but his drinking has, at times, made my life a living hell. What's my next step? Am I doing the right thing? What are the chances this works? Thanks for any input/previous experiences.