View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
samseb5351

Secular way for me.

I am almost 10 years into recovery from Compulsive Gambling, and been on a roller coaster ride of processes, therapies, spiritual practices, big book thunperdom, rehabs and fellowships and landed in the simple empowering processes found in secular approaches like SMART (and other CBT tools).

It was probably about 2-3 years ago when I decided to bring a positive form of skepticism to my own recovery, taking all my beliefs and passing them through an honest filter of critical thinking has been the best thing I have ever done. Yes it was slow and sometimes scary but I have found Life can be rich and robust when seeking reality is your goal.

I am often surprised by how messages I heard and latched onto (especially in early recovery) become unquestioned and a kind of Dogma. It all made sense to me on an emotional level that I was powerless and needed a Higher Power, that it became an unchallenged fact. I like many entered recovery battered and bruised, with a wake of destruction behind me, it wasn't hard to convince me of my unfixable self.
Here I am today, a proud positive atheist, a loving humanist and questioning sceptic. Taking responsibility has been like a cool breeze in a once fearful life. I look forward to hearing others experiences.

Thanks