Old 03-17-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Firehazard
SHARING THE LOAD

Cycles of Change

Great topic and congrats on your sobriety and loving concern for the AA program. It is amazing how AA changes from town to town and region to region like that. I finally learned how to get sober by going to old timer meetings and listening to them instead of getting "social". So much was learned and obsorbed from them. I guess my life depended on that. These elder statesmen and women had a keen sense of the ebb and flow of AA and many had seen clubs rise fall and groups get huge and then small again.
Life changes happen and I had to move. In other states I have found the same thing that you have: a giant party in one, will not mention the town, one city where the treatment centers have literally taken over a once thriving grass roots AA with history, and another where heavy drug dealing and prostitution abounded. The same quality that was in my original home group I cannot seem to find. It is concerning to me as well!!
For us to "Stay true to Oneself" is a very important pass down from members past. All we can do is carry our message and know that certain group consciences are exactly that. I have faith that many problem groups will heal given the application of the principles of the program. That is all little ole me can do.

HAPPY SAINT PATRICKS DAY