View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mango blast

Welcome to SR.

Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...periences.html
Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What…Me Sober?

My husband would sometimes make it between one to two weeks and start drinking again. He was once sober for 2 months but never worked a recovery program and relapsed hard. I kept thinking "if only he'd go to AA", but what he really needed, and thankfully received, was an inpatient rehab program. It's not for detoxing, most want patients to be sober before entering. The one my husband went to was based on AA, with great counselors and a lot of self-learning required. Rehab is for learning how to recover -- that's a lifelong job. Not a bad thing -- learning to do everything sober, to enjoy life, to beat an addiction that will keep trying to take you back, to learn your triggers and how to change ingrained habits, it all takes learning brand new skills.

Have either of you been to AA/Alanon/Celebrate Recovery yet? They're good places to be. A lot of very good people have this chronic disease. The disease makes you think you can do it on your own (often, that you really don't need help at all), but recovery actually requires reaching out for help. For alcoholics and for us co-dependents.

Good luck to both of you.