View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
blackandblue

How to Reclaim Identity

I am having an overwhelming need as of late to assert myself, set boundaries, and stand up for myself in order to let go of the past, stop worrying about the future, and live in the present. I am hoping this is a positive step toward reclaiming my identity and recovering from codependency. My desire to please others and seek approval has transformed into an imminent need to protect and preserve my sense of self through creating new and healthy boundaries.

I think it might be a little intense for certain people as I make a point to create space between myself and insanity. "No" feels good, and I am getting many chances to say no. I am not ready to say "yes" very often right now as I feel I need to balance out a life of "yes, sure take whatever you want from me" with a lot of reciprocal "hell no's" in order to make peace with my right to autonomy.

I hope I come out more balanced in the end, but I must admit- I might seem a bit crazy at the moment. With that in mind, I would like to start a list of "how to reclaim your identity" assertions. So far, all I've got is- learn the definition and importance of the word "no."