Old 03-08-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
allysen

You did the right thing by making a complaint against the worker. She obviously does not understand the emotional impact of domestic violence on children and appears to hold old-fashioned stereotypical views of DV. You could possibly enlist the help of your local DV office for support when you meet next with the worker/supervisor to address the complaint. Sounds like some education is needed here.

That being said, your children do appear to be coping well and that's good. I don't know if I'd want my own kids labelled 'abused,' and my case referred for ongoing protective services if in fact they are very resilient, well cared for, and protected by me.

Emotional abuse, as a result of witnessing DV, is the hardest thing to prove in a courtroom. Part of this stems from old views on the issue, the 'invisibility' of the maltreatment, and even the old beliefs that it didn't affect children. There has been a huge shift in this thinking in the last decade thanks to DV advocates. CPS work now focusses on empowering the victims, and not labelling children-who-witness 'abused' if in fact the victim/mother is a protective and capable parent. (Obviously the worker you met with didn't get the empowerment memo).