View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
ryan0905

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
I find counting the days seems like a contest, who can spit the furthest?
I am still trying to figure out why many people count. I know that to some extent it should show that people do stay sober for extended periods of time, especially to the new person checking things out. But in all honesty, everytime I relapsed, I never lost that sober time I had before, and what I learned in that sober time. So to some extent I can count the first 18 years of my life as being sober, then all the little bits and peices of sober time between age 18 and now, all add up. Because in all honesty, they dont say, how much time of continual sober time do you have, they just say how much sober time do you have? right. Some places you announce it, how much "time" you have.
I couldn't agree with you more. The first time I got sober I counted everyday. I lasted about 6 months then I was back at it again. So I felt I had lost all of those days. But I like what you said. I didn't lose all of those days. I was sober for 6 months! It was a huge accomplishment but I look back and feel guilty. I'm starting to see it in a different way now.