Old 02-23-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bluebird74

What do fair and reasonable expectations look like?

I have been lurking on the boards but this is the first time I have posted. I am hoping someone can give me some guidance on what my expectations should be/what I can expect to happen.
I told my AH he had to leave last month (after he was arrested for a DUI). He spent the next few days at a hotel, while attending AA meetings during the day and drinking all night. He then started renting a room from his sponsor. He was sober 13 days and then relapsed. It took his sponsor a couple weeks to figure it out. In the past week he lost his job, was kicked out of his sponsor's house, and is currently in the hospital for detox/psych hold.
When I spoke with his mother she berated me and made sure I knew he couldn't be "pressured" with any thoughts of taking care of our children, supporting his family, his marriage, or his job right now. His sponsor also told me he can't be worried about working right now.
I don't know what to do right now. He has always been functioning prior to this point. I no longer want to be married to him and I am having a hard time seeing the difference between detachment and abandoning him. I am left with the responsibility of figuring out how to support our family, pay for his legal & medical expenses, etc.
He has continued this behavior for years, and now he gets a pass to leave me with all the responsibility? And I am not "supportive" if I expect him to be concerned about how to keep a roof over our children's head? He has made the statement that money is evil, it is bad, he doesn't care about it, our kids will always be taken care of, he is going to get well and get his family back.
What is reasonable for me to say to him, or expect from him with regards to his financial responsibility? I don't want to hinder his recovery, but I am terrified about how I am going to do this with no help from him, not to mention future expenses he incurs.