View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

Additionally, if you know anything about gold mining, then you know there is a whole lot more dirt than gold.
Exactly.....and there's more gold in some areas than others! Digging for gold "just anywhere" isn't going to turn up those nuggets. I found the greatest concentration of gold for me in Nar-Anon. And there was also a specific Al-Anon meeting that had just a great vibe. All meetings are not created equal....that's why it is suggested to go to several until you find the one that best suits an individual.

Speaking franking, most self-help recovery books are simply not good. There are a handful of very good ones, but the vast majority should be filed under fiction.
I agree with you wholehearted!! Melody Beattie......not conference approved but excellent. Pema Chodron........not conference approved......not even addiction related but excellent. Dalai Lama....not conference approved......not addiction related.....but excellent. TedTalks......there are some really GREAT things in that.....again not addiction related but excellent......check out the TEDTalk on Gratitude.....speakers last name is Schwartz, I believe. I'd provide a link but I'm out of the country right now and Internet connect is not cooperating.

Personally, I had gotten to a point where I needed to just stop flailing around. I needed structure.....12 little steps provided that structure for me. And yes....it had everything to do with wanting relief and needing to believe that something would help me find it......and it did.

gentle hugs
ke