Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
divorceandteens

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
Teens can be terribly protective of their A parents and actually take a parental role towards their own parent (I saw it happen with one of my kids and her A father).

Because of that, an internet forum probably felt like a "safe" place for her to seek help. I think I would probably keep talking to her, and try to slowly convince her that this is a problem that is too big for her to handle, and that she does need to find outside help -- for herself, not for her mother; that's not her responsibility.

Alateen is a great start, but knowing first-hand how difficult it is for an adult to get over the resistance of going to an Al-Anon meeting, I can imagine it may feel terribly difficult for a teen.

You could refer her here -- we've had teens with alcoholic parents post here before.

I'm guessing getting her to talk to a school counselor would be hard?
As experience from talking to kids for many years now, even assuming Belgium has school counselors trained in counseling, no one goes to the school counselor when I tell them to. They don't call the crisis hotlines, either. But they are comfortable talking with me, at least for a short while. Hopefully talking will help, because she sounds like a great person and I do genuinely care about her and relate to her situation (my father may not have been an alcoholic, but there are a lot of parallels between our two situations).

I'll refer her here, but are you aware of any other online forums made more specifically for kids?

And no worries, Hammer, it didn't sound harsh to me. Being able to reach kids all over the world, to help them when no one else is, is more than enough thanks for me. It breaks my heart when kids are suffering, particularly because I went through the same thing when I was a kid and I'm well aware that after divorce (and particularly with regards to alcoholism) parents are generally trying to deal with themselves too much to help the children, so kids are just left to fend for themselves. And I did the protective thing with my own parents (and my sister - basically I was protecting everyone from everyone) and it was just draining and exhausting and not a place a kid should be.