Old 02-20-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
divorceandteens

Exclamation Need Help for 13 Yr Old With Alcoholic Mother - Advice?

I run a website, Divorce and Teens (divorceandteens dot weebly dot com), helping teens cope with divorce with articles based on my own experiences. Sometimes teen readers write in with questions for me or just looking to vent about their experiences. I don't give professional advice (I'm not a professional and I make that clear), but I do talk to them about what I did in my own experiences and basically just provide a caring, nonjudgmental ear and try to get them to go use a crisis hotline or convince them to talk to a trusted adult, if the situation merits it.

I had a reader write in recently and the situation is way beyond me. Her mom is an alcoholic, became so after her parents divorced, and she blames her dad for making her mom that way. She lives with her mom and the mom sounds like she is emotionally abusive to the daughter when she's drinking or forgets to take her medication (she is also depressed). I am simplifying, because I don't want to betray her trust in telling me about this, but that's the gist of it.

I tried to send her resources and links for how to talk to professionals and get support for her mom's alcoholism (her mom is not in any recovery programs), but she is in Belgium so the resources I sent don't apply.

Please help. There is a little girl getting hurt emotionally an ocean away from me, and I want to do as much as I possibly can to help her. I just don't know what to do or say. Any resources you can send, advice you'd like to give her, or anything else you have to offer is greatly appreciated.