Thread: Overwhelmed
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
Adult ADD here *waving*

If I go through something I have written and then write out the first sentence in each paragraph as an outline, I can begin to see where my organization has gotten off track. I'll start be correcting this very basic outline, then fleshing out the additional points under each main point.

Just something that works for me....

So sorry you are feeling a bit out of synch right now!
Me too! I have ADD but this is more of a processing issue for him. His neuropsychologist basically says it's more about 'how' he processes information and spits it back out. He truly cannot think at times and it kills him when he knows what he wants to say but can't pull the information the front of his brain.

I was an English minor in college, was planning on being a writer/editor as a career. This is hard for me to watch him struggle because writing comes so easy to me. Unfortunately, teaching it is a whole new ball game, LOL! I can sit there and write it for him, but that would be way too much enabling even for me, haha!

The good news is: he has come a long way in just the past few months. He can write simpler things and does a very good key word outline. This particular assignment is just a difficult one. Also, I love the fact that teachers allow kids to type assignments now because his handwriting is slow and atrocious. He has a tic where he shakes his right hand every few seconds and it kills me to watch him try to write. His head shaking tic and eye rolling is hard, too, but he somehow works through them while doing his work.